Friday, June 13, 2008

Like Venice with Funnier Accents

As I mentioned yesterday, I'm back in Pittsburgh for the first time in a while, and I continue to be amazed by the changes. I'm really surprised I hadn't heard about the plans to deliberately flood the streets of the Strip District. It must have been a massive project, and I have to say it doesn't look like it was totally a success. Don't get me wrong, there's definitely some good things. The motorized steel gondolas are a very nice touch. And I love the open air live freshwater fish pens at Wooley's. But after about the fifth flower merchant in a snorkel pops up to try and force a blooming lily pad on you the charm starts to wear off. And like Venice there's a bit of a problem with...well, let's be high-toned and call it effluvia and leave it at that. It's hard to buy kielbasa off an ingenious floating grill when your stomach has recently been turned by a similar shaped object drifting past.

No comments: