Thursday, June 12, 2008

I Haven't been in Pittsburgh For A Long Time

They've put up another statue of Willie Stargell since I was last here, and I have to say it's a bit much. It's three hundred feet tall and stands astride Point State Park like some modern colossus. That could be okay, albeit a bit grandiose, but apparently somebody got a deal on a job lot of pink flecked marble, which rather undercuts the solemn tribute they were going for. It doesn't help that it rotates either, and so fast that you can barely make out that it's a statue of Stargell, and not some menacing pink blur descending on the three rivers. And it screams. I don't know if this was intentional or if the ghost of Pops has come back to haunt this monstrosity or what, but I'm 30 miles outside the city right now and I can hear the damned thing still. I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight.

No comments: